Steeped in Steps: Linda's Non-Steps to Being Nowhere


I have become seriously averse and somewhat hostile to the 10 steps to this, the 12 steps to serenity, the 15 steps to that, the 17 principles to success, and now a friend just sent me someone’s 45 life lessons. I almost pulled my hair out. OK, I’m good with the 4 Noble Truths that could actually be condensed into 2, but when can we stop stepping?

Here are my 4 non-steps to now-here and no-thing:

1.    Do not follow any steps, guidelines, commandments or principles to get you where you aren’t.
2.    You are your own authority.
3.    You are exactly where you are supposed to be or you’d be somewhere else.
4.    When in doubt, don’t listen to me and go to step one.

Nowhere is where I want to be with no one’s suggestions on where I should be besides being right here. I’m done with trite or astute messages to help me be a better, more realized, more interesting human being. I’m done with new age and self-help recipes. Been there, done that. I’ve either got it, or I don’t. If I’ve got it, it doesn’t matter; if I don’t, I won’t miss it and it still doesn’t matter.

As an aging individual, I trust my own/now authority and my inner guidance and resonate with those who follow theirs. So, let’s put away the steps and take the elevator.

Amen.


Comments

Popular Posts