Solstice Awakenings and the Akashic Attributes of Appreciation

Wandering through my enchanted ravine, I was distracted and disturbed by finding a dead, decaying packrat. I said my prayers and traveled a couple feet further only to discover what appeared to be a dead ring-tailed hawk lying awkwardly on its back, its head indiscernible and its beautiful striped wings outstretched. I was awed by its strong pantalooned legs and iron-like talons. I considered removing a feather but felt it would be a violation. I said more prayers as I wandered up the sandy arroyo. I was filled with sadness, pondering why I might see these two dead creatures, one of the earth and one of the sky, prey and predator. I began to weep, as I’ve done so many times in my life over the death of a blessed creature, and wondered how I could embody their precious spirits.

I turned to the Medicine Cards that revealed that hawk represents the messenger, the power of observation and having a wide vision or overview. In contrast, mouse represents scrutiny, being watchful and focused on the minutiae. Both views are necessary. I wondered about the messenger.

Feeling unsettled about leaving these two creatures lying in the ravine, I returned the next day on Winter Solstice for an initiatory burial. I dug a hole on the side of the ravine next to a large boulder. When I carried the bird of prey to its resting place and was able to view it’s large head and big open eyes, I was stunned to discover that the presumed hawk was actually a great-horned owl! Yeow! Now I was really blown away by the mystery and magic of owl medicine and its powers of keen, “silent” observation. The Medicine Cards say, “Owl can see that which others cannot, which is the essence of true wisdom. Where others are deceived, owl sees and knows what is there.” As a Scorpio, I highly appreciate these qualities and can only hope to engender these gifts.

I mindfully completed my mission in burying owl and packrat together, covering them with stones. Resuming my hike up the wash, I came across one of the stone cairns that I had artfully stacked in the past and found that new stones had been added around its base. I was pleased that someone had added their energy to this desert shrine. Because I rarely see people on these walks, I was surprised to be met by a woman and her young daughter. The mother asked if I was the one who builds the stone cairns. Replying yes, she then told me that she had added the stones to the base of the cairn. She, too, had seen the dead owl and was glad that I had buried it. I was glad to have had a witness. We then found that we are neighbors living two houses apart and were overjoyed by this exquisite meeting.

This particular adventure brought home to me my deep appreciation and reverence for my desert environment—the flora and fauna and spacious, colorful sky. The encounter with the dead critters made me very aware of how much I want to protect the natural environment so that all creatures, as well as humans, can live freely. I felt empowered by taking action in burying the creatures, as I had never buried a dead animal before. This act led to my connecting heartfully with my new neighbor. Having shared this mutual appreciation and veneration for our neighborhood’s beautiful environment inspired me to somehow take this understanding out into the world.




Comments

Popular Posts